As it's the start of a new year, it's appropriate timing to share with you my method for planning ambitious goals for the year, and how to give yourself the best chance to achieve them.
You can listen to the episode here: -
The method I use to plan the year ahead consists of 6 steps: -
- Dedicate sufficient time to the process
- Reconfirm you personal values and principles
- Limit major goals to 1 or 2 only!
- Break major goals into minor goals with ambitious timelines
- Break minor goals into hard Action Items, with dates and plenty of detail (i.e. when, where, who, etc.)
- Review often and adjust as necessary
In addition to these steps, make sure you find some way to keep yourself accountable. Sharing your goals with close family or friends is one way.
You can also set rewards to coincide with milestones that have been achieved. This gives you extra motivation and keeps you going on the next task at hand.
For an example of a plan, you can find an excerpt of my plan here. I use a tool called Asana to do my planning, which is brilliant, and very flexible, but unfortunately doesn't lend to reporting or exporting too well, so it might look a little bland as I had to mock it up in a spreadsheet and print to PDF, but the content is more important that then aesthetic here.
I'd love to hear your tips and ideas on goal setting and planning, so please leave a comment below.
Here's looking forward to a successful 2016!
Header image: bigstock-business-internet-office-and-59130734